'PGCE with QTS' - Applications
The Lion Alliance is a partnership of Primary and Secondary schools based around Coventry and Warwickshire who are looking to recruit high quality graduates into the teaching profession. You can find information on each of our partner schools on the 'our strategic partners' page.
We are currently offering the following course structures:
- PGCE with QTS (unsalaried)*
*Please note: all of our PGCE with QTS places are 'School Direct Tuition' (SDT) where you must pay tuition to one of our university partners.
You can also find a wealth of information on applying for teaching training and more on the 'Get Into Teaching' website.
Entry Requirements & Eligibility - UK Applicants
The Lion Alliance aligns all of its entry requirements with each of our partner universities. This means they may differ slightly depending on which university provider you are applying through.
THE MINIMUM ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR TRAINING TO TEACH AT SECONDARY LEVEL ARE:
- 2:2 UK Honours or above in your first degree (or equivalent qualifications) in the stated subject your applying for*.
- C Grade UK GCSE or above in English Language, English Literature and Mathematics (or equivalent qualifications).
*Please note: normally, a significant proportion of your degree must be in the chosen subject, however if your degree is not in the stated subject but you have significant modules related to it this may still be accepted. In this case we may ask to see a transcript of your degree modules to determine eligibility. If your degree does not have any links to the subject you have applied to you may still be eligible if you have an A level in the subject. We would look for this to be a B grade or higher and you may need to complete a SKE (Subject Knowledge Enhancement) course to supplement your knowledge.
THE MINIMUM ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR TRAINING TO TEACH AT PRIMARY LEVEL ARE:
- 2:2 UK Honours or above in your first degree (or equivalent qualifications).
- C Grade UK GCSE or above in English Language, English Literature, Mathematics and Science (or equivalent qualifications).
On application we would expect you to hold the above qualifications with the exception of a degree as we understand that applicants may be on a university course when applying for our PGCE with QTS courses.
(Other qualifications may be eligible as equivalent by our partner universities; this will not be determined by us and if you hold a different qualification we can check this with them on your behalf).
If your application with us is successful, when we meet with you in person you will be expected to present physical copies of your qualification certificates. These are your proof of attainment and if you do not have copies of these you risk not being admitted to the course.
Please note: as part of the application process you will also be required to complete a DfE Professional Skills tests in literacy and numeracy. Further details will be provided at that time.
Entry Requirements & Eligibility - International Applicants
If you are an overseas student you will need to have qualifications that meet the requirements in the section above - 'Entry Requirements & Eligibility - UK Applicants'.
Each of our partner universities deem different international qualifications to be eligible and we thoroughly advise that if you are unsure your qualifications are deemed as equivalent that you contact your chosen university provider directly to confirm this before applying.
Our partner universities may also offer equivalency tests in English and Mathematics for international applicants (PGCE with QTS Secondary only) who are unable to show evidence of equivalent qualifications gained outside of the UK. These are to satisfy the requirements at UK GCSE level for the subjects above.
SKE - Subject Knowledge Enhancement Courses
If you have a degree in the subject that you are applying to train to teach in but you gained it over 5 years ago, you may be required to complete a Subject Knowledge Enhancement Course to supplement your subject knowledge.
How to Apply
Once you are confident you have satisfied the entry requirements for our courses you can then start working on your application. Below you will find some helpful links and information to consider to help you apply for our PGCE with QTS courses.
Please note our provider details are: 1K1 - The Lion Alliance
You can see our full range of courses that we offer and our current vacancies on the GOV.UK 'Find Postgraduate Teacher Training' website by using the provider details above.
Things to think about when applying...
Ensure you include all qualification information on your application, including:
- GCSE English Language, Literature, Maths and Science
- A level Qualifications
- Degree and Module Information
It is important that there are no breaks in your employment history. As much time as possible must be accounted for otherwise this may delay your application being processed.
Provide professional references from previous teaching or work based roles/experience, or from educational contacts where possible. These are really useful to help us see your personal ethic and personality through the eyes of others.
Within any personal statements it is important to include information about:
YOUR THOUGHTS AND PASSION
- Why do you want to teach?
- Why is working with young people important to you?
- Why is the 'School Direct' route into teaching your preferred choice?
YOUR QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- How do your qualifications and their content link to your chosen curriculum subject and its teaching?
- What experience do you have teaching in a school or other environment and what you have learned from this? (consider the school you are applying to; what relevance does your experience have in their context?)
- What other relevant experience do you have that demonstrates your skills (don't forget that information about any wider experience working with young people such as sports coaching, uniformed organisations, youth work or mentoring is just as valuable)
YOUR STRENGTHS AND AREAS OF IMPROVEMENT
- What are your personal strengths that will support you in teaching? (Make sure you give examples of where you have demonstrated these strengths).
- What area's of improvement have you identified about yourself?
WHAT YOU ARE ABLE TO CONTRIBUTE
- How would you be able to contribute to your chosen school?
One final note
Make sure that your application has been proof read and checked for accuracy before submission.